PASSION

Lend me your hand and we'll conquer them all
But lend me your heart and I'll just let you fall
Lend me your eyes and I can change what you see
But your soul you must keep, totally free


Sunday, April 1, 2012

Grandpa+Dad+Son

They call it
bian nuik.
More or less the same as Chinese wantan.
Mince pork in the inside,
wrapped with thin-skin layer of flour.
Just that.
Plain, simple, yet is mouth-watering.
Add pinch of Sarawak's homemade pepper,
you'll get the best wantan ever.

As early as 6.30am,
I was woke by Dad.
I normally wake up at 5.30am,
when I was still in the army camp.
But my bad habit caught me back.
The habit of watching dramas in the midnight.
Haven't I told you that I was addicted to Korean drama?
Well, yesterday I just got myself connected to the internet
at night, nearly 11pm, plus some of the loading of the drama,
I couldn't help but found myself finished watching
when the clock struck 12.59am.
Wow, I must get some rest.
And some rest I did get.
Some, ya... some.
5 hours still counts... some, right?
Anyway, I quickly changed, 
got myself ready for breakfast,
and together with Grandpa,
Dad drove us to the nearest coffee shop,
to have the typical kampung-style breakfast.
(kampung means village in Bahasa Malaysia)
 
What I most admire the villagers
are that they know each other well.
I mean, as my Grandpa was just trying to get a seat
in that crowded coffee shop that morning,
he was caught off by many acquaintances,
old friends and buddies.
I say, my Grandpa is very well known, eh?
It's a blessing, to me,
when you get up in the morning to start the day,
and you have many people greeting you,
having a light chat,
just to start a new day.
I like that. A lot.
But I don't want to stay in the outskirts of city.
I want to be in the city.
But that kind of intimacy can't be found in the city.
Well, I know that,
'cause I have been living in the city for 18 years.
As a city boy,
the kampung taste of life is always a new experience.
*It smells here;
My uncles have a business of rearing chickens and ducks.
They used to have pigs too.
  *It's dirty here;
mud and dust all around,
and the sweeping never stops.
And just take a look at the toilet, 
OH MY GOODNESS!!!
*It's so cold here.
I am not saying the weather,
'cause I just simply enjoy cold weather,
but I mean myself with my relatives.
That's because we have a language barrier.
I don't speak nor listen their mother tongue,
a language my Dad used it,
namely Hock Chiew.
Bits of here and there, okay, I can get it. 
But to understand it as good as my English or Chinese,
that's a challenge. 
That's why all my cousins aren't sooooo close to me.
All because I don't speak much. 
Oh, by the way, they are not good in English or Chinese too,
so that's a problem too. Hahahaa...
  **
After the breakfasts,
Grandpa wanted to get some bread.
Automatically, I thought of his favourite bread.
Probably the favourites of many here in Sarawak.
It's gom-miang.
Or some called it gong-piang.
Either way, it's bread that the Sarawakians eat.
Honestly, this is the first time I see 
the making of gom-miang.
Say, it does look like the making of the Indian bread too!
But I am not kidding when I tell you
that this gom-miang is very tasty.
Same as the bian nuik, it brings the taste of simplicity.
The simple and plain taste of the flour,
and the aroma taste of baking,
just dipped into the gom-miang.
If you come to Sarawak,
don't forget to try out some.
It sure is different, in a good way!


So, this morning is rather, 
light and easy.
A simple breakfast,
and a simple walk in the 
morning Sunday market.
A simple bread to add on to the day,
and a simple chat with Grandpa.
A simple life in the village.
It's a simple enjoyment.
And somehow or another,
I hate to admit,
but, 
this simple is nice.
Today, I started a new day,
differently,
in a simple way.

Friends,
I just want to say,
in the hustle and bustle of life,
take a break,
stop for awhile,
and take a deep breath.
Enjoy your life,
in a different but simple way.
You may start it with jogging.
You may change the menu of your breakfast.
Or just relaxing at the patio,
enjoying the morning breeze.
Have fun in the simple,
and in the simple have fun!

 Ciao!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment